Caring about the environment
2021 marks the beginning of a new era, where we, collectively, must do our best and take decisive actions to save the environment. Our planet generously has been offering us the goods that help us survive, whether that be food, water, or clean air. It is, metaphorically, our life support system and our forever home, so if we keep polluting it, the impacts for us humans are going to be dreadful.
We have been celebrating Earth Day for five decades now. Yet, we fail to realize and take measures to stop the destruction of our precious environment. If we want to achieve more sustainability by 2050, then we should start the reforms today. Every single act towards a ‘greener’ planet will have a huge positive impact.
There is a need to be vigilant and focus on restoring nature by planting seeds and trees and protecting all the natural habitats (lakes, rivers, tropical forests, mangroves, peatlands etc.). It is known that we are losing biodiversity and especially wildlife. Up until now, we have lost at least two thirds of global wildlife to extinction and numerous populations are endangered as well. It is our duty to do our best to save them and us in the process.
10 Environmental Activities for children at home
- Challenge to keep the lights off, whenever you leave any room in your house.
- Make reusable shopping bags from unused fabrics or clothes.
- Make crafts from empty plastic bottles that either contained water or shampoo etc.
- Try to plant your own garden outdoors.
- Play a ‘guessing where’ game through which, you will be guessing where your food comes from.
- Visit local parks, waterways, beaches and learn about the water cycle and the creatures that live around that area.
- Use old juice or milk cartons and turn them into bird feeders.
- Study how different animals camouflage themselves and apply those techniques in a hide and seek game.
- Read books about the impacts of pollution on our planet and play trivia games while testing your knowledge.
- Take a family trip at the beach or park, grab gloves and pick-up tools and clean up litter.